Wednesday 8 May 2013

(7) Looking For Photographs!

Photography


I need a photographer! I've been contemplating on the idea of hiring a photographer, talking some photos myself or asking for of my old Photography friends for some thumbnail images in the mean time. I have an idea of what sort of photography I want. I would like images that are clean but have a vintage and stylish look to it. 
I've been doing a lot of research into photography lately. I came across an amazing talk via TED.com and discovered a photographer who believes in receiving equal rights for the LGBT community. Her photography is raw, natural and exactly the sort of style that I'm looking to create for my project.  




This image especially is sort of style that I'd like for my magazine. It's clearly a modern photo but the style and effects in the photography make it look like something old and vintage. I like this sort of look and I'm hoping to find a photographer who can supply this sort of photography for my magazine. 

You can see that majority of her photos are black and white. They're candid and beautiful in presentation. They also have an almost vintage feel to it. 

I've also been research an old photographer called Sir Norman Parkinson. I came across his photography a while ago when searching for vintage images. Here are some examples of his photography:




"Parkinson's brilliance has everything to do with time, and defying it – for he managed to be something that should be logically impossible, a "timeless" fashion photographer whose art danced through the decades and always remained in style.
Born just before the first world war, Parkinson lived through a century of extreme change and yet his pictures did not get relegated to yesterday's model. He defined the look of Vogue in the mid-20th century with pictures like his monochrome shot of a thin lady in a very wide hat. Surely, style like that should have made him old hat when the 1960s, miniskirts and sex blew 50s elegance out of the water, yet Parkinson took stunning images that captured the revolution of the 60s. His 1960 photograph Traffic, Queen is a phenomenal distillation of the new spirit. A woman is posed in front of a moving bus: in a typical Parkinson device, she is in sharp focus while everything else is allowed to blur. The bus becomes an abstract mass of speed – Parkinson's use of colour is scintillating, with the slender model wearing a red cap and black dress and leaning against a black and white pelican-crossing signpost."

No comments:

Post a Comment