Friday 3 February 2012

BANG, CrAcK, splash!! (Onomatopoeia) Week 2



Looks Like The Sound!

This week, we've been focusing on creating fonts and designs that represent a certain sound. 
This is known as onomatopoeia. Again, we just have to use a little imagination to conjure up some design ideas that represent a sound. I've chosen a series of onomatopoeic words that I want to attempt to design and in all honesty, it's a lot more challenging than I anticipated!
I chose the words Crack and Puff because I knew they would be the most interesting words for me to mess around with. Because I wasn't entirely sure how would go about using positive and negative effects into my designs, I went ahead and did some basic research. Here's an image of the sort of designs I assumed we were supposed to do with our choice of onomatopoeic words. With the designs that  have created, I have started to lean towards these sorts of designs.
I'm trying to experiment with typography without having to incorporate imagery into it. This is more of a personal way for me to learn to work with letters without having to depend on images to make it look aesthetically pleasing. I thoroughly believe that this project was a great way for me to do this. So far, I've been working with some positive and negative effects in my work in order get some interesting designs in my onomatopoeic words. 
Here's an example of what I've been working with. As I mentioned before, I've chosen the words, Crack and Puff. Because the word puff, sounds like something soft and fluffy, I decided to trace around some cloudy font in different ways in order to create some interesting effects. To my surprise, I was actually quite pleased with some of the outcomes. The cloudy effects really illustrated the word "Puff" to a great extent. I went ahead and played around with some of the shape and isolated some parts in order to get more interesting effects. Unfortunatley, I didn't capture the image too well with my camera. But from the image, you can see that I have been a little spontanaous with the way I have messed around with positive and negative designs. I'm still trying to use Sanna Annuka as an inspiration for my logo design projects because I admire the way she works with shapes. I hope that some of the ways I have been working reflect this. If I do come back to this project, then I'd like to experiment with a wider range of onomatopoeic words and possibly some colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment