Sunday 2 December 2012

8 Making My Own Font (Masthead)!

Designing My Own Font & Masthead

I decided that I would use a font that I have been designing for some time. It was meant to be used as my personal logo for self identity. I started off using some basic shapes on illustrator to create some simple structure. Here's an example of what I have been doing:



As you can see, I've just been experimenting with the idea of using blocks to represent city buildings or skyscrapers. But I've chosen to approach this in a more abstract way. I don't want it to look exactly like buildings because I would still like the masthead to be readable. 
So far, I'm very happy with the end result of my font design and I'm definitely considering it as my final idea for my magazine masthead. I wanted it to look a slightly more defined and possibly less compressed. I've tried to experiment with colour also. So far, I've only tried using various shades of pink and grey to illustrator the femininity of my article and spread. 


I don't like the way the way the colours have turned out. It could be due to the fact that the colours are to harsh and solid. I'd like to try something on a more pastel tone. Towards the end of my experiments in the image above, you can see that I was trying to work with more softer and faded colours but I still wasn't happy with the results. 
In the end I went with something simple and readable. Here's the result of my final outcome. 

Because of the simplicity of the masthead, I've decided that every issue could have a different colour masthead on the cover. This makes the masthead a lot more versatile and exciting to work with. I was inspired to work this way when I  saw the front covers of Varoom magazine. I noticed that their masthead looks quite similar to my design! They also change the design of masthead slightly with every issue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment