Tuesday 10 April 2012

Easily Influenced (Researching Designers)

Researching Designers


We've been spending quite a lot of time researching logos and trying to understand what explicit and implicit logos are. I'm still not entirely sure how one would be able to identify what kind of logo is explicit or implicit but through some thorough research, I'm starting to understand some areas of this topic. 
I've been doing a lot of research into various designers in order to get some influence for my latest project. In an earlier post, I mentioned that I was doing a mini project based on a list of fictional companies. We were given the task of creating a logo for each of those companies. I have started doing some personal research into the kinds of logos I'd like to create. Designers that I've been very fascinated with lately have been Paul Rand and Herb Lubalin. 
Here's a few images that I copied from the internet into my research folder. Below is an image of some of the work of a designer called Herb Lubalin. I'm very familiar with his work but lately I have been doing some more research into his designs. This is because a lot of the logos that he has created look like the kind of designs I want to create for my logo. The logos you see in the image below are just a small selection of his most popular work. You can see that most of the logos incorporate the image of the title into the actually logo and he does this quite cleverly. I'm hoping that I'll be able to do something similar for my logo. 

Another logo designer that I've been researching is Paul Rand. Most of the members of my group have been researching the work of Paul Rand which is why I thought it would be interesting to see why everyone found him so fascinating. Here's an image of some of the logos that I have been looking at. 
After doing some research, I discovered that a lot of his designs are definitely something I would like to incorporate into my future work. His logos are colourful, exciting and also quite timeless. So farm his NEXT logo and IBM logo have been my favourite. They look vintage, colourful and understandable. This is exactly the sort of idea I'm aiming towards.
                                             

I've started redesigning a lot of my logos after doing some brief research into other designers work. Personally, I've been feeling that some of my designs haven't been as high in quality as they could be. Therefore, doing this basic research into the designs of other artists really gave me the inspiration I needed.
I'm also trying to look into some new artists also. This is so that I can get a fresh look designs instead of having to look at something I'm too familiar with. 











No comments:

Post a Comment