Sunday 18 November 2012

3. Bringing Letters To Life!

Working With Clay

This is my second experiment for the Type Poster project. I've been looking forward to this idea for a while because I've so eager to design something in other areas of art. 
For this experiment  I cut out the letters that spelt Helvetica. It was a time consuming process but I'm almost happy with the end result. Here's what it looked like after I cut some of them out! The shapes were slightly jagged and the some of them fell apart but I still satisfied with the end result. 
Perfect shapes aren't exactly what I was going for. As long as the actual shapes are readable and still neat, it's okay. I've never worked with clay before, so this was a very exciting part of the project for me! I wanted to make more words and our tutor suggested that I create more using a quote or a more exciting word other then Helvetica, so I went ahead and researched into quotes on clay and dullness. I found this quote:

"if you say that someone you admire has feet of clay, you mean they have hidden faults"

I thought that the last two words of the quote worked perfectly with my clay letters! My cut outs are slightly jagged, not perfect and neither is Helvetica. I decided to cut out the words Hidden Fault and see what they look like instead of Helvetica. I painted a few of them red because Helvetica is a Swiss design and Swiss graphics are know for using red as their identified colours. Here's how my clay letters turned out.
I thoroughly enjoyed making them and they came out quite quirky yet still corporate to some extent. Because I spent so much time on this part of my project, I decided that I'd use this as the graphic for my type poster graphic. Seeing as I'm not creating a digital illustration, I'm quite curious to see what this might look like at the end of my project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment